Customising your bathroom can be a fun activity, if done right. However, it is not as simple as designing and customising a bedroom or your living room. There are many things and standard recommendations that you must consider when you think of customising your bathroom. Here are some things that you should keep in mind in redesigning and customising your bathroom.
Choose a style that fits you and your lifestyle
Choosing the design style you want for your bathroom is the first critical step. Having a design and theme in mind will narrow down your planning and shopping for materials. You can make the style coherent with the rest of your home, or you can have an entirely unique style for your bathroom. For example, you can use bold colour schemes in your bathroom or you can go with the natural look by using stones and timber.
Have a design layout for your bathroom
Securing a design layout is the next important step that you should take. Having an efficient design layout will ensure that you have a bathroom that is not just stylish but also safe, comfortable, and functional. It should include plumbing drains layout, water lines layout, electrical layout, and ventilation designs.
The layout should consider who will use the bathroom. Is it a master bathroom that will have to accommodate two or more users? Consider having a separate shower room from the toilet for convenience, especially during morning rush hour.
Design your space
How much space you have will determine the fixtures and furniture that you can bring in your bathroom. Measure your space, and make a sketch of the layout and its shape. Include recommended clearance spaces and measurement to ensure that your bathroom is safe, functional, and comfortable to use.
When thinking about the design of your bathroom, consider the following factors:
- Ventilation – Although the Australian Building Code does not require you to have bathroom windows, consider that natural ventilation will always be your best option.
- Storage – Consider having storage cabinets for your bathroom needs and essentials.
- Doors – Make sure that the doors you install meet the minimum door clearance requirement. If your bathroom door opens inwards, it must not be closer than 1400mm to the toilet seat.
- Colour – The colours that you choose for your walls, floors, and cabinets can make or break your bathroom design. It can also make your bathroom space look bigger.
- Tiling – You can have your bathroom walls and floors tiled, based on the colour theme that you choose. Choose classic and plain tiles so that it will not go out of style anytime soon.
Waterproof your bathroom
Waterproofing your bathroom is a must, whether you are building a new bathroom or renovating an existing one. Waterproofing involves installing a barrier around the floors and walls of your bathroom. The purpose of this waterproof barrier is to protect and maintain the integrity of the house structure. Seepage of moisture over time can compromise the integrity of a structure, thus waterproofing is quite essential.
There are regulations that you should adhere to when waterproofing your bathroom. The Australian Standards 3740 have set some minimum requirements that you should follow when waterproofing your bathroom. These are:
- Shower walls must be waterproofed up to 180mm.
- Bathroom walls must be waterproofed up to 150 mm.
- The floors must be waterproofed to 100mm.
- If the bathroom is in the second floor, the whole second floor must be waterproofed.
Set a budget and stick to it
Before you start any customisation or renovation, establish a budget that you can work with. Above all else, it is your budget that will tell you what you can do with and buy for your bathroom. It may not be as fun as planning and designing, but it is a crucial step that you cannot ignore.
Call Ideal Tiles for your bathroom renovation needs
Ideal Tiles is your one stop shop for all your bathroom design and renovation needs in the NSW area. Choose from our wide range of designer tiles, mosaics, ceramic porcelain stones, and other accessories. We also specialise in drains and plumbing to help you build a stylish and functional bathroom. Contact us now for a consultation and free quote.